Sunday, February 24, 2008

Thoughts for the day....

OK, I realized it has been a while since I have written anything. It was a self-imposed hiatus in order to attend to other happenings in life - just realized that this one turned into a sabbatical (almost). So I am still trying to gather the best thoughts to write something that makes sense to me and my readers a.k.a. friends.
While I was away I could never totally switch myself off from writing here...there were always topics that seemed like good ones to write about considering that a lot has happened since my last post - like the ram setu controversy, benazir bhutto assassination, IPL, fidel castro resignation, USA presidential race, etc. Yet, somehow I would always feel like I need to explore a bit more before I went back to writing and also settle other matters that needed my attention (or maybe not).
Considering the time that has gone by, I think I have realized that there is almost always more to life than it seems initially - like an unexplored dimension that erupts in your face every time you think you know it all. I am not sure how many people have experienced this before, but I certainly did - only to increase my humility further. This complex web of nature, emotion, relationship and feeling, crafted by the greatest artist ever, seems to generate enough mystery to keep a person occupied for a lifetime and beyond. So as I see myself now, I am only a minuscule creature that is trying to build its world among the pre-existent great forces.
Suddenly, there is a strong sense of compassion and an urge to give back and contribute meaningfully to the world. As I watched yesterday on TV - a show that had a girl who was born with a mental disability and did not converse for 12 years, singing lata mangeshkar songs with elan and charm without being trained in music, I acknowledged the miracle and the existence of the force behind all humanity. As I pondered more, I thought about who is responsible for the disability and the miracle. The answer rang clear in my head - it is a supernatural force. A miracle, as humans call it, is something that is deemed impossible but still ends up happening even if there is maximum negative support for it. But, for the force that controls this miracle it might be only a minute event that has been pre-destined since millenia. So, who are we to call ourselves "life-savers" and "godmen" ? I'm not against blind-faith and faith-based movements, all I am questioning is the stature of these human forces against the force that controls and governs the universe.
I was filled with a great sense of satisfaction to see this child sing and prove to the world that she is not less talented than anyone else. It gave me a bigger sense of realization than having watched the previous 100 episodes ever gave me. I wondered what this feeling was? Why was I feeling that way? Was I being emotional? I still don't have the answer. This is the point at which I realized that I have really not contributed at all to the causes we should collectively be concerned about.
People from India praised Taare Zameen Par, a movie that really should awaken Indian people as they chase "pre-established norms" for success and crush their children under the burden of their expectations, without acknowledging the super-special abilities that every child may have been bestowed with, by "the force" they call "God" and leave no stone unturned in pleasing Him. Well, He would be pretty pissed off if He knows that you are mistreating His gift to you by not unwrapping it and judging it by purely external appearance.
I am humbled by this "great force" and I recognize its workings now and cannot even imagine how complex the equations that it balances are. Can any of our claimed "super-humans" attempt to resolve this? Please give it your best shot!